Scalp itching is also reported in most of the cases. It is a common disease, seen in women. Patient can feel the increased intensity of pain while combing hair or touching scalp with bare hands. Trichodynia may occur secondary to some diseases. These diseases include androgenetic alopecia and telogen effluvium. In later one, patient face problem in growth of hair due to some environmental factors and child birth factors. Hair loss is permanent in case of androgenetic alopecia. It is concluded that hair loss is the most common symptom associated with trichodynia or burning scalp syndrome.
Symptoms of trichodynia are simple and can be observed easily. Pain is the main symptom associated with it. The nerves of the scalp are highly sensitive. Patient may have a feeling of pricking scalp skin. Itching and burning of scalp are also observed in most of the cases. Due to itching, patient may have wound on scalp along with redness. Hair fall is the common complication of trichodynia. All the above mentioned symptoms should be treated on time, otherwise these will become severe and irreversible. In this condition, production of sebum and dandruff have not seen in any of the case.
The most common reasons behind trichodynia are listed below:
- It may occur due to incomplete drying of hair after taking shower. As it may damage the hair follicles.
- Due to tight hair binding, trichodynia may occur. Because hair follicles can't breathe properly.
- Due to deficiency of vitamin D, hair follicles may weaken and leads to trichodynia.
- Hair conditioners which are dry and intense can destroy the hair follicles leading to trichodynia.
- Mostly people are allergic to hair dye and can develop trichodynia.
- It may occur secondary to stress, anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder. And these have direct relationship with trichodynia.
Trichodynia is the common condition with a lot a causes and symptoms. To treat the symptoms of trichodynia, the causes should be treated. If hair loss or the associated trichodynia occur due to stress and anxiety and depression then anti depressants are prescribed. In case of decreased vitamin D level, vitamin D injections are prescribed. There are some precautions too in case of handling wet hair, which helps a lot in avoiding occurrence of trichodynia. In case of cosmetic products allergy, these products should be avoided. If necessary, use the medicated cosmetic products.